The short answer – yes. If you do not wish to implicate yourself with all the payroll calculations and reporting to HMRC, the easiest way to go through this would be to seek out an umbrella company. All the hassle would be handled by them for a certain fee leaving you with your take-home pay and no worries.

Under an umbrella company, you will pay tax and NI as an employee, and the only downside is that the employer costs like employers NI, pension contributions or apprenticeship levy will also be deducted from your side (pre-tax). This will be leaving you with less taxable pay, but also less tax to pay.

As stated before, when working under an umbrella company, you have an employee status, which can be beneficial in regards to statutory entitlements such as sick pay, maternity/paternity leave etc.